Preston T Towber
PRESTON T TOWBER
· Business Bankruptcy
· Business Litigation
Preston formed The Towber Law Firm, PLLC in 2008 and has been practicing law for more than 30 years. Preston has a reputation for being thorough and well prepared for all court appearances. In advising clients, Preston is committed to providing his clients with both the short term and long term ramifications for any legal strategy and to make sure the client’s specific objective is obtained.
After starting his legal career as a judicial law clerk for a United States Bankruptcy Judge in the Southern District of Texas, Preston obtained shareholder status at a well-established downtown Houston law firm. Preston successfully ventured out on his own as Of Counsel to a downtown law firm and then started the Towber Law Firm in 2008 in response to satisfying numerous client’s needs for providing cost effective, high quality legal services.
Preston has been AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell® continuously since 1985, a Super Lawyers® in bankruptcy by Texas Monthly Magazine from 2006 to 2011; and a Lawyers of Distinction in 2018.
Preston has extensive experience representing secured lenders and landlords in chapters 11, 7 and 13 cases, Trustees in chapter 7 cases and Debtors in chapter 11 and chapter 7 bankruptcy cases. When you hire the Towber Law Firm, you hire Preston who will draft every pleading, attend every hearing on your behalf and personally respond to your questions or inquiries within 24 hours.
Preston has extensive experience in buying and selling assets in and out of bankruptcy, as well as prosecuting and defending preference and fraudulent transfer matters.
Preston was admitted to the State Bar of Texas in 1985 and State of New York in 1984. He is licensed to practice law in the U.S. District Courts for the Southern District of Texas, Southern District of New York, and the Courts of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
Preston’s specialties within bankruptcy law include business bankruptcy, creditor and debtor rights, closely held businesses and trustee representation.
Listed among Preston’s successes are:
- Represented Plaintiff National Bank in successful resolution of dischargeability trial in Bank of the West v. David McCarble, II, Adversary No. 14-03296, In the United States Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Texas, Houston Division
- Represented Meadows Bank in obtaining deficiency judgment in Meadows Bank v. Design Tech Group, LLC., Edward Katende and Anthea Lyn Katende, Cause No. 4:17-cv-00073 In the United States District Court, Southern District of Texas, Houston Division
- Represented JPMorgan Chase Bank, NA in obtaining deficiency judgment in JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. vs. Fogle Manufacturing Co., LP., and Allen H. Fogle, Jr., Case No.4:17-CV-03246, In the United States District Court, For the Southern District of Texas, Houston Division.
- Represented one of the named Defendant in BMC Medical Clinic fraudulent transfer action pending In the United States District Court, Southern District of Texas, Houston Division
- Represented Chapter 7 Trustee in successfully obtaining bankruptcy court approval of class action mesh settlements In Re LaCresha Spence, Case No. 07-32004, In the United States Bankruptcy Court, For the Southern District of Texas
- Represented Chapter 7 Trustee in obtaining approval of sale of assets and resolution of exemption issues in In Re Imran Momin, Case No. 13-33537, In the United States Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Texas, Houston Division
- Represented mortgage holders in opposing extensions of automatic stay in successive chapter 13 bankruptcy filings.
- Represented landlords in asserting claims both in large out of state retail bankruptcy cases and Texas retail cases.
- Represented major Texas health care and hospital in Texas bankruptcy cases.
- Local counsel for Class Action plaintiffs in large oil and gas case.
- Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science, Cum Laude, New York University, 1980
- Juris Doctorate, Cum Laude, The Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, 1984
- Houston Bankruptcy Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association
- Houston Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
- American Bar Association
- Moller/Foltz American Bankruptcy Inns of Court
A Uniform Approach to Determining Finality in Bankruptcy Appeals Under 28 USC section 158(d), 29 South Texas Law Review 587 (1987-1988)
Co-Authored with the Hon. Manuel D. Leal, Fundamental Bankruptcy Concepts for the Non-Bankruptcy Practitioners, 49 Texas Bar Journal 822 (1986)
AWARDS AND HONORS
- Named a Texas Super Lawyer in bankruptcy by Texas Monthly Magazine 2006 through 2011
- AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell®, 1995 to present
- Lawyers of Distinction® in Bankruptcy Law, 2018
- Preston served as President of the Moller/Foltz American Bankruptcy Inns of Court from 2016 through 2017.
- Preston has been on the Executive Committee for the Moller/Foltz American Bankruptcy Inns of Court since 2007.
- Speaker, Southern District of Texas Bankruptcy Bench Bar Conference, 2008, 2010, 2014 and 2016.
COMMUNITY OUTREACH AND NOT FOR PROFIT INVOLVEMENT
- Preston was past president of the International Wine & Food Society from 2007-2008.
- Preston was a board member on the Bellaire Little League from 2013-2014.
HOBBIES AND SPECIAL INTERESTS
Preston enjoys fitness, running, cooking, wine tastings, acting, snow skiing and his three children, Andrew, Jacob and Ethan.